Do you have hyperpigmentation around the mouth? Read our guide on the treatments available for hyperpigmentation around the mouth.
What Is Hyperpigmentation?
Hyperpigmentation is a skin condition where patches of the skin are darker than the rest. Dark patches on the face, neck and around the mouth are formed due to deposits of extra melanin (colour producing pigment).
Hyperpigmentation Around The Mouth Causes
Discolouration around the mouth is a common occurrence of hyperpigmentation. The dark patches tend to develop in small patches and while not usually serious, hyperpigmentation can be troubling for some people. It can affect people of all ages and skin types but tends to be more common on darker skin tones as the rate of melanin production is higher compared to light skin.
Several different conditions or factors can cause hyperpigmentation such as:
- Certain medications - Some chemotherapy drugs can cause hyperpigmentation as a side effect. Also hormone replacements, especially oestrogen (the hormone that plays an important role in managing your reproductive system) and oral contraceptives.
- Pregnancy- The changes in hormone levels can affect melanin production.
- Excessive sun exposure can cause an increase in melanin production.
- Lifestyle habits - Smoking, lack of folic acid in your diet can lead to hyperpigmentation. Whole grains, nuts, and green leafy vegetables are high in folic acid.
- General ageing and “wear and tear” of skin, which can cause liver spots.
- Skin issues like acne, which can leave dark spots behind.
Hyperpigmentation Around The Mouth Treatment
Spending long hours in direct sunlight can lead to sun damage on your skin and can cause dark marks around your mouth. This is why it’s advisable to wear sunscreen and stay covered with hats, sunglasses and shade etc. We recommend an SPF containing titanium dioxide or zinc oxide such as DermaQuest Sheer Zinc SPF 30.
Exfoliate the area around your mouth regularly with a gentle exfoliator. It can remove dead skin cells and help to lighten the skin. Go for a chemical exfoliant or a jojoba based scrub as these will not scrape the skin, which may in some cases worsen the condition. Try DermaQuest Algae Polishing Scrub.
Acids and Chemical Peels
Glycolic, lactic and fruit acid chemical peels can be beneficial in exfoliating the dead skin build up which makes the skin look dull. It is best to seek advice however before looking into acids, as they can be unsafe if not used right. Book a consultation with one of our specialists to get a more in-depth understanding as to what acid would be best suited for your needs.
Skin Lightening Creams
Investing in high quality skin lightening creams with specific ingredients can combat dark skin around the mouth. DermaQuest SkinBrite Cream
DermaQuest SkinBrite Serum and DermaQuest SkinBrite Facial Cleanser all aim to suppress activity of melanocytes targeted for hyper-pigmented skins.
Whilst we understand that hyperpigmentation is bothersome and may be damaging to your confidence, the good news is that it can be treated and is usually nothing serious!
For more information on this topic and to speak to our skincare specialist, book your bespoke online skincare consultation and receive professional advice tailored to your specific needs.