How To Remove Hyperpigmentation: Top 5 Proven Methods
Hyperpigmentation is a common skin issue that many people struggle with. However, it can be treated or at the least, reduced!
What Is Hyperpigmentation?
Hyperpigmentation is a medical term used to describe darker patches of skin. These patches can result from excess melanin production, which can be caused by acne scars and sun damage to hormone fluctuations.
5 Proven Ways To Remove Hyperpigmentation
- Keep skin moisturised - This will help boost skin cell turnover when using products with certain ingredients such as glycerin or hyaluronic acid. These inactive ingredients allow the active brighteners to work more effectively. A good moisturiser can also restore the skin’s lipid (fat) barrier, helping to further protect it from the sun’s damaging rays. Try DermaQuest Essential Moisturiser or Obagi Hydrate.
- Don’t pick spots, bites and scabs - Scratching and picking at a spot will only increase the inflammation that's responsible for skin discolouration as the pigment in brown spots can move deeper into the skin over time. Treatments including Vitamin C help reduce hyperpigmentation as it inhibits melanin synthesis by downregulating the activity of an enzyme known as tyrosinase. Try Obagi Professional-C Serum.
- Brightening cream - Skin lightening creams, also known as skin brightening creams, are designed to lighten skin colour. The creams are often used to spot-treat dark areas of the skin, such as age spots or acne scars. They are sometimes used to lighten the complexion overall. Skin brightening creams contain ingredients that work to decrease your body’s production of melanin (melanin is made by cells called melanocytes). Bleaching products work by lowering the number of melanocytes in your skin. We recommend DermaQuest SkinBrite Cream - but also check out the full range too!
- Microdermabrasion - This is a cosmetic procedure that uses fine crystals and a vacuum to remove dead skin cells. It can be used on the face, neck, chest, back and hands. The aim is to reduce fine lines, minor scars, wrinkles and age spots, and make the skin smoother and younger looking. This treatment is offered in many clinics including Eterno Skin Clinic so check them out. There is little to no downtime after microdermabrasion. You should be able to resume your daily activities immediately. You may also need several treatments. Also try Obagi Professional- C Microdermabrasion Polish and Mask.
- Speak to a professional - There is always information available to help with skin but sometimes it’s best to consult with an actual specialist who can put together a bespoke skincare plan tailored to your specific needs. This is available over on GlowBay where our skincare expert can talk you through the products, listen to your concerns and advise what is best for you!
For more on hyperpigmentation and to speak to a professional, book an online skin consultation with our GlowBay expert and get on the right path to clear and bright skin!