What is a cleanser and how do you use it? What are the benefits? Why do you need it? In this article we answer all of your questions on cleansers and how they help your skin.
What Is A Cleanser?
The term cleanser refers to a product that cleans or removes dirt, oil or other substances. A cleanser is a facial care product that is used to remove make-up, skin care product residue, microbes, dead skin cells, oils, sweat, dirt and other types of daily pollutants from the face.
Benefits Of A Cleanser
A facial cleanser is the first step in every at-home skin care regimen. In addition to removing dirt, dead skin cells, and other unwanted surface debris, a properly formulated facial cleanser can prime your skin for a daily skincare routine, acne treatment, and other skin care products.
We love DermaQuest Essential Daily Cleanser for doing just this.
Other benefits include:
- Helps to maintain a clear, healthy skin! - To help protect itself from environmental damage, the skin produces sebum (oil). While sebum is beneficial to your skin, if it stays on the skin too long without being cleansed off, or if there is excessive oil on the surface, it can mix with any residue build-up leftover on your skin. This may cause enlarged pores and create a blockage of skin cells, trapping sebum and allowing bacteria to penetrate the skin, which can lead to inflammation, acne, and a blotchy and lacklustre complexion.
- Boosts hydration! - Regular facial cleansing is also an important factor in helping the skin maintain a proper level of moisture. Dehydrated skin looks and feels rough, wrinkled and aged. Cleansing helps manage pH levels of the skin; enabling sufficient water and product retention, for essential skin hydration.
- Keeps the skin looking young! - Every day, your skin is ageing. Pollution and environmental toxins can accelerate the ageing process, and the very simple process of cleansing your skin is an excellent way to get rid of all unwanted particles and to stimulate the internal processes, which fight ageing such as the production of fine lines and wrinkles, uneven skin tone, pigmentation and skin dullness.
- Increases further product’s effectiveness! - Without cleansing, your skin would be covered with a thick layer of dirt and grime which can render it difficult for the active ingredients applied over to penetrate the skin properly and thus function. Clearing out your pores will prepare your skin for the absorption of other skincare products and will therefore make it more receptive to treatments to follow such as exfoliators, masks, serums and moisturisers, for maximum effectiveness.
How To Use A Cleanser
Applying your cleanser is a simple process and actually very satisfying; knowing you’re removing all that dirt and grime from the day from your face. So here’s a step by step of how to do it right:
- Tie your hair back and put on our GlowBay headband. This makes cleansing easier and also means you can get into your hairline which may be clogged with hair product and excess oils.
- Wash your hands! There is no point in washing your face with dirty hands.
- Wet your face with lukewarm water.
- Apply the DermaQuest Essential Daily cleanser - Squeeze a 20p sized amount of cleanser onto your clean hands and apply it to your face. Gently massage into your skin, getting into every crevice including your hairline and under your jaw and neck.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Gently pat your face dry using a soft towel like this one from GlowBay.
- Continue with the rest of your skincare routine.
The ‘Don’ts’ Of Applying Cleanser
- Don’t use unclean hands to cleanse your face. You will just be wiping excess dirt and oils around your face.
- Don’t use hot water on your face. This can strip your skin of its essential oils and cause dryness and irritation.
- Don’t be rough with your face. Simply pay dry, don’t rub dry as you may be removing excess moisture from your skin.
- Don’t over cleanse. Twice a day is the appropriate amount to cleanse your face. You don’t want to be stripping all its essential oils away as your skin will become dry, tight and irritated.
How Often Should You Apply Cleanser?You should apply cleanser twice a day during the morning skincare routine and then again in the evening skincare routine.
Double cleansing is not a necessity but is beneficial because the first cleanser will break down any makeup, remove dirt and excess oils from the day and clean your skin. The second cleanser will address your particular skin type or concern and should have ingredients to hydrate, smooth or exfoliate and treat acne.
A great first cleanser to use would be the DermaQuest Universal Cleansing Oil as this will effectively remove the make up.
For the second cleanser, we recommend a water based cleanser such as Dermaquest Essential Daily Cleanser.
A Cleanser For Your Skin Type
Different skin types may require different cleansers and picking the right one can be a lengthy process so here is some guidance.
Cleansers For DryDehydrated SkinDermaQuest Essential Daily Cleanser
DermaQuest Universal Cleansing Oil
Cleansers For Oily SkinDermaQuest DermaClear BHA Cleanser
DermaQuest DermaClear Cleanser
Cleansers For Combination SkinDermaQuest SkinBrite Facial Cleanser
DermaQuest Glyco Gel Cleanser
Cleansers for Ageing SkinDermaQuest Stem Cell 3D Facial Cleanser
DermaQuest Peptide Glyco Cleanser
Again, we know it can take time to perfect your skincare routine with all the right products suited for your skin and if you would like any further assistance, book in for an online skincare consultation with our GlowBay expert and start your journey to great skin now!